Monday, 3 September 2007

Embroidered Apples



We have recently redecorated our kitchen and adjoining conservatory and I wanted to add a wallhanging of some kind to go with the new fresh styling. This particular piece was inspired after a visit to Art in Action which was held at Waterperry House in Oxford. The day we visited was so wet that exhibitors in some of the marquees were digging trenches to allow the 'river' to run out of them! Literally ankle deep and more in some places. Didnt stop the work being fabulous though and I came home fired up with ideas and ready to begin my picture.

This piece is about 24" X 30". The background is made up of pieces of upholstery fabrics, the apples are layered organzas - which were cut away after stitching and the backgrounds stitched with both free motion and automatic stitches, text and monograms. The gold diamonds are foils bonded and stitched. It was so fun and freeing to work I was almost sorry when it was finished!

No comments: